Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Insurance sex

So yesterday after all my bitching about potentially faulty ovulation tests and freaking out about the timing of my cycle, I came home and got a positive ovulation test. You'd have thought it was a pregnancy test I was so damn excited.
Okay, so for those of you who aren't familiar with these tests, you've come to the right place b/c I'm basically an ovulation expert now (if you can be an expert by doing 57 google searches). Basically you get this surge of a hormone called LH which is what prompts your body to release the egg. So these tests are basically telling you that your egg is going to the singles bar in search of some sperm, so those swimmers better gel their hair and bring money for drinks pronto.

So after I got this positive test, I really didn't know what to do exactly because the instructions that came with the test were pretty vague. So began my Google quest and I came across one site that said that you should have sex the day of your surge and 2 days after. And then, a line that made me laugh out loud: "Also consider "insurance" sex for one more day in case you ovulate late." I'm not sure why this struck me so funny. Another thing the site said was that in a perfect world, you will have had sex the day before your surge too - which we happened to do, so I'm pretty stoked. I know what's coming next, though...I basically feel like I'm becoming this personal little baby maker and insuring that it will happen b/c...shit - i know for certain that I did ovulate, we had sex on all the right days, i'm doing all the right things. I have to remember it's not up to me, even though I want so badly to be able to control this. I guess we'll see....

1 comment:

Unconventional Baby said...

I know what you mean though. I've been looking for signs of ovulation for 7 days and haven't seen any according to The Stick. If I see two lines, there will be dancing in the streets.

Hats off to you and your ovaries!